Friday, January 31, 2014

VALENTINE SLIP COVERS FOR THROW PILLOWS


Every once in a while I do a craft that really surprises me and this was one of those times.  I had an idea, no pattern, no directions but so loved this heart graphic and loved it even more when I put my monogram and then my sweet husband's monogram on the graphic. Rule of thumb for a monogram is the center initial (last name initial) should be twice the size of the initials on the side.  In other words if your center initial font size is 30 then the side initials would be 15. I thought why not make pillow covers for the accent pillows on the two couches in the living room?  Why not indeed!  I expected this to take a long time and honestly it took less than an hour from start to finish, maybe less.
I started by measuring the existing pillows and by printing out the graphics on some cotton poplin sheets (the kind the quilters use).
  My pillows were an 18" square so I cut to lengths of fabric using the normal 1/4" seam allowance for the sides and a full inch for the top and bottom.  All  you have to do is to sew across the turned back seam allowance for the top and bottom and then put the fabric right sides together (with the seamed part overlapping just a little at the mid-point in the back) and sew down the sides, turn them out and using a bone folder or other similar item push out the corners. Press and you are now ready to adhere the graphic to the pillow.
Before applying the graphic it's a good idea to put the pillow inside to make sure you have a good fit.
Using a product like Pellon's EZ-Steam, II apply the graphic to the sticky side of the product, next cut in and out around the graphic to give it a better look than just cutting a square.  Peel the paper off the back and iron onto the pillow.
 I next attached the bow using sticky back hook & loop (velcro).  This could not have been easier and once Valentine's Day is over, so easy to remove and put back the original accent pillow.  I'm already thinking about pillow covers for St. Paddy's Day!

Resource

Ticking fabric, fabric store upholstery section 
Transfer Magic, Inkjet Transfer Paper, Hobby Lobby
Pellon EZ-Steam II, Hobby Lobby
Ribbon by White Pine
Draw Program, Corel Draw
Font free,  Monogram KK

Thank you for stopping by.

 

 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment