Sunday, January 19, 2014

WINTER POP OF COLOR

I so loved the rooster on canvas that I made for my donation to the Alzheimer's Idaho Chili Cook-off that I decided to make one for myself and when I purchased another frame (at the sale area of course) they had a canister that had a chip on the lid (taken care of with a black thick sharpie) and I thought a pop of color in the kitchen would be nice since things look a tad bare after removing all the Christmas decorations.
All that is needed for this quick project is some silk flowers (I thought some red geraniums looked the most realistic) some desert florist foam, a little florist gum or hot glue, and clippers.  After clipping all the flowers off the bunch I just "glued" or in my case put some florist gum in the bottom of the canister to hold the desert foam. Arrange your flowers starting with the longest stem in the middle of the arrangement and work outward. Next I just made a bow out of the checked ribbon and attached to the canister with a little hot glue. It needed a little something else and I tried some faux ivy but ended up thinking the lacey looking faux boxwood looked best.
I printed out another rooster on canvas and added the ribbon as I did on my previous post.  I took several photos and always the print looks very white but in fact it is off-white as the frame is and has a much warmer look in person. To make the ribbon work with the off white color of the frame and the print take a quick dry pen in brown and run it gently down the length of the ribbon to make it look a little aged.
I think the combination of the two items perks up my kitchen with a nice pop of color and both items give a little nod to Mackenzie-Childs without the giant price tag!

Resource

Canister & photo frame, Hobby Lobby
Silk Flowers & Faux greenery, florist supply shop
Desert foam, Michaels
Check ribbon, Amazon
Rooster Graphic, Graphics Fairy

No comments:

Post a Comment