Sunday, January 5, 2014

TIME FOR THE DOWNTON ABBEY PARTY - SEASON #4

Tonight is the season premiere of Downton Abbey, Season #4.  We are having friends over for the show and also the "Secrets of Highclere Castle" which comes on just before the premiere. It was my original intent to prepare some veddy English treats for my guests but since the show comes on later in the evening, well past dinner I decided what the heck, British or not we are watching a movie and what does that call for????  Popcorn, drinks and movie candy.  So I decided that with a little trouble the standard movie fare could perhaps be kicked up a notch as befitting the evening!
I started off with this treat stand that I purchased on clearance after Halloween last year.  It came with some cones but I needed some more that would coordinate with the Union Jack so first I made some cones. BTW, yes that is a rubber ducky with the Union Jack emblazoned on his chest, couldn't help myself, had to buy.
I just took one of the existing cones carefully apart and made a pattern with kraft paper, cute out my cones, glued them and they look the same as the others.  Not everyone is lucky (or maybe crazy) enough to have a stand so if you would like to do this just take a cardboard box and turn it over, cut out circles and then cover with some wrapping paper, cut the paper out where the holes are and you can set the cones into the box.
I picked up these cute cups and went to work making a label for "London Lemonade" and at the same time I stopped by The Graphic's Fairy for my Union Jack and printed out the lemonade and Union Jack's on the same sheet.
I left enough room under the crown to punch a hole for the straw.
Not sure why things are looking pink but not so much in person. I printed these on a regular 8 1/2x11 full sheet, Avery label.
I had intended to use my best crystal when I was going to do "proper" snacks and would not have sent them home with guests but now the "London Lemonade" cup can go home with each guest as a commemorative of the evening.
  
The candy was great fun!  The Jr. Mints became "The Earl of Grantham Mints," - A delightful confection of creamy mint covered with chocolate...,Milk Duds became "Downton Duds," a curiously delicious confection of chocolate & caramel, and lastly the M&M's became "Mary & Matthew's M&M's,"  Plain chocolate disks with a hard shell, no mess. I also printed these off on an 8 1/2x11 Avery full sheet label. You can see I put the Union Jack stickers on the napkins, printed out a large Union Jack for the cachepot on the table & printed out a photo of season #4's cast.  I just put the labels on some cardboard and used a bamboo skewer (taped or glued to the back) and then inserted them into the pot.

Just before the guests arrive I will be filling the three tiers of cones as follows: 1) Movie theater popcorn 2) Kettle Corn 3) Homemade caramel popcorn.

The English phone booth was a lucky find at Home Goods - marked way down because it was damaged, but my hubby can fix anything! 

Here is my recipe for my favorite caramel corn:

Ingredients

1 cup butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
8 cups popped popcorn

Directions

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.

Over medium heat, combine first 4 ingredients and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. Stir well. Pour over the pop corn. Stir to coat well. Bake in large roaster or pan for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on waxed paper to dry.

Resource
Union Jack Graphic, The Graphic's Fairy
Mint with English Rose, The Graphic's Fairy
Crown, Google Graphics
Paper for cones, Michael's
Cups, $ store
Candy, $ store
Red Paper Napkins, Bed, Bath & Beyond
Carmel Popcorn Recipe, Paula Deen
Full Sheet Labels, Avery
Union Jack rubber ducky, Michael's
English Telephone Booth, Home Goods


Thanks for stopping by!

 






No comments:

Post a Comment