Friday, November 14, 2014

WHOLE GRAIN PANCAKE MIX IN AN IKEA TOWEL BAG + LABLES & INSTRUCTIONS TO PRINT

This blog post will give you the recipe, labels and instructions on how to prepare the pancakes and complete instructions on how to make the bags and resources.
 Easy recipe - only (7) ingredients -

Recipe

11 cups of wheat flour (I prefer King Arthur but my store was
out so I substituted Red Hill)
2 Cups of Buttermilk Blend Powder
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup baking powder
2 Tablespoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons salt
2 Cups quick cooking oats

Put oats into a food processor and process until they are finely ground - at this point (because I have a large food processor) I added and processed the rest of the items one at a time to make sure they were well blended. If you don't have a large food processor just process the oats and add the other items one at a time blending carefully after each addition.
Lastly I put in the flour and using a whisk took my time making sure to get all the ingredients evenly blended.
You are now ready to divide the mix into bags.  I chose to do enough in each bag for two batches so my yield was four bags. If you choose to only give one batch you will get eight. The bag that I chose to make is very thin cotton so I needed a plastic bag that was thick enough to give stability so I used Zip Lock freezer bags.
I used an IKEA cotton kitchen towel.  I no longer live by an IKEA so I had to dig into my stash for these.  These towels sell for .79 cents and are plain cotton towels and once washed make great towels for drying crystal, etc.  Anyway if you don't live near an IKEA they sell them online and I will put a link below.  The shipping is a little steep but if you order a lot of them I think the shipping remains the same so get a couple of folks together and make your order.  Also if you have not shopped at IKEA each item has a name - the towel is TEKLA.
This towel has red lines running along the outside edges but I wanted them to show so I devised this little, fast pattern. First put right sides together (length-wise) and just below the seam sew them together.
Do not iron the towel until you are finished as the fold marks are used as a guide.  Hold out the towel and you will see a line down the very middle - about 1/2 inch on each side sew straight across.
After you have sewn down both sides then go back and cut down the middle and now you have two bags for .79 cents!
Turn the bag around and put your hands inside and push out and you will see the bottom looks like this and the stripes are in the front.
Fold the triangles over and seam the edge as above -
Now cut the the triangle up to near the seam line and you have a flat bottomed bag for your whole grain pancake mix - now you give it a press.  If you machine is up and running and you don't get interrupted making two bags takes less than ten minutes.  I had not done this before and I timed myself both times and it was the same.
Here are the instructions for you to enclose with the mix as well as labels for the front.  If you don't want to go to the trouble of making labels you could just print these out and hole punch them and attach with your ribbons, etc.

TO PRINT: If you have a draw program just copy and paste the sheet into your program. If you do not have a draw program an easy way to print out a sheet of these labels is to "right click" on the image and "save to your desktop", then "right click" on the file on the desktop and you get the option to "open in Picasa" (if you do not have Picasa it is free and an easy download) once in Picasa select the "print" option, then "full page", if it does not fit the page then select the" fit to page" option and it will print out perfectly.  If you are not using a lami-label then print it out on a full 8 1/2 x 11 full sheet label and then cut around the labels as you need them. I know this sounds complicated but it is really easy and once you have done it you will see it is that. Right click, save to desktop, right click, open in Picasa and print. Here is the link for Picasa: Link
I found the perfect wooden spoon at Walmart - they come in a bag of three spoons and a little spatula (they were .88 cents for the four at my Walmart in Boise) and have different length handles - hubby quickly trimmed them for me so they were all the shorter length. You don't have to add the spoon but I think it is a nice touch.
Here they are four little cuties ready to go into a gift basket with some of the Caramel Apple Jam and when it is closer to Christmas I am going to make cookies to go inside too.
A word about the labels and the decorations that I used.  I made my labels in Corel Draw 6 and I laminated them using a lami label (available at FedEx-Kinko's, print out a sheet of the labels and they can laminate them using a lami label). I found these fabulous (and very hard to find berries and holly) from a great seller on Etsy - Karin at Uniquely Yours Crafts. I contacted her yesterday and she does have an inventory of these items as well as other holly selections.

Resource

Towels, IKEA, Link
Holly & Berries, Uniquely Yours Crafts, Etsy, Link
Ribbon, 5/8 Inch red grosgrain, hobby and craft stores
Recipe, Taste of Home Christmas 2011
Wooden Spoons, Walmart

Thank you for stopping by.



 

2 comments:

  1. HOW DO YOU SPELL PERFECT = JOJO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too kind Anonymous - perfect I am not but having fun making these bags of Whole Grain Pancake Mix - for that I am guilty. Thank you for your kind comment. j.

    ReplyDelete