Sunday, February 9, 2014

LEGO CUPCAKES

I had a call from my dear DIL last Thursday asking me if I would make some cupcakes for a birthday party for our twin grand-babies, Belle and Mitch.  She was very sweet to add that I could say no but I was more than happy to oblige.  Not long ago she had purchased some cupcakes for a party and they were uber expensive and not tasty at all and at the time I told her all she had to do was ask and I would be happy to make them so she did and I did.
After thinking about the cupcakes for awhile I thought how am I going to make a Lego??? Candy Melts that's how but I needed a mold and it was snowing like crazy.....Amazon Prime thank heavens for you!  Ordered the mold, paid a little for one day delivery and bright and early the next morning my mold arrived.  So easy to make candy using Candy melts.  I had red Candy Melts and Orange ones so I added yellow to the orange to make the yellow.  For the blue I melted a couple of white chocolate squares and some white chocolate chips and added the blue coloring.
 Made triple-chocolate cupcakes in baking cups and then went to my computer and found Lego graphics and made the wrapper. I have covered enough lampshades in my day to know that if you are wrapping something and the sides are not straight up and down you need to make a pattern.  I took one of the cups apart and made a pattern and then scanned the pattern and used that scan to add the Lego graphic and then duplicated the wrapper and printed out the 24 that I needed.  Cut them out and then used dbl sided tape to tape to the baking cups.  Baking cups are so worth the money that they cost vs just using cupcake papers because they are easier to handle, easier to fill and best of all nothing leaks through these specially treated papers so you get a nice clean look.
Vanilla bean buttercream frosting and you are done.  I think they turned out pretty cute and I am sure that they will be appreciated by the 7 year old kiddos just before they go to see the new Lego movie!

Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting:

Ingredients
  • 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or ½ pound), softened (but not melted!) Ideal texture should be like ice cream.
  • 3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
  • ¼ teaspoon table salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
  • up to 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
Instructions
  1. Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn’t blow everywhere) until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time. I think the secret to good buttercream is to make sure you really whip the butter well and then when all the sugar and the other ingredients are incorporated just set the mixer and walk away for a few minutes and let it get nice and fluffy.
Triple-Chocolate Cupcakes
 
Ingredients
  • 1 box mix, any flavor but be sure and get good quality mix like Duncan Hines
  • 3 Large Eggs
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted - must use BUTTER
  • 1 cup of water
Instructions
  1. Melt the butter in the microwave.
  2. Add cake mix, eggs and water to the butter in large bowl.
  3. Mix on low for 1 min. Then mix on high for 1 min.
  4. You will be amazed that your batter is nice and thick and creamy - not thin and runny like it is when you follow the box instructions.
  5. Fill cupcake papers or cups, I use the large scoop for this, size is perfect
  6. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
  7. Let cool before frosting
This is a recipe for ANY cake mix, I used triple-chocolate for my Lego cupcakes

Resource

Cake mix, Pillsbury triple-chocolate, grocery store
Food Coloring for candy, Linnea's or any gel paste food coloring, you get better saturated color with these types vs regular grocery store food coloring. Available at specialty stores.
Baking Cups, Paper EskimoPaper Eskimo 25-Pack Baking Cups with Red Stripes
Lego graphic, Google graphics
Draw Program, Corel DrawCorelDRAW Home and Student Suite X6 - 3 Users
Wilton Candy Melts, Walmart, Hobby Lobby and other stores
Lego Candy Mold, Life Of Party Molds K162 Building Blocks Chocolate Candy Mold

Thanks for stopping by.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment