Monday, November 21, 2016

NO-BAKE COOKIES - EASY AND DELICIOUS

In all honesty whenever I see "no-bake" I would typically not read on to see the recipe.  This recipe did catch my eye and I thought it might be a little something my grand-babies might like.  This recipe has taught me to not be a "cookie snob" and to take a longer look at other no-bake recipes because it is really good - sort of Reese's Peanut Butter Cup-esque tasting.
This is it - just a few simple ingredients. I use Adam's peanut butter exclusively because there is no sugar added to the peanut butter. I do however, always make sure I get the no-stir variety.  Costco carries the brand but it is not the no-stir. Maybe it's my small hands, but I have a devil of a time stirring the one you have to stir. So I avoid!

I started seeing these little boxes of Nestle Toll House morsels a few months ago and I love them.  Each box contains 1/2 cup and they are available in most stores now including, the dollar store.  I found them one day at a different store for 2/$1 and bought a bunch and put them in the freezer.  The other reason I love them is that the chips are smaller than in the big bag so they are small enough to pop on a cupcake top, decorate candy, etc. I find them to be versatile.
The recipe calls for doing all of the work by hand but I decided to have none of that so I will give the recipe as written and tell you what I did differently. The small Cuisinart and other machines like this one are perfect for taking graham crackers and making crumbs.
I used my mixer with the wire whisk attachment to mix the ingredients - easy.
I also tested the $ store parchment paper with this recipe - the result - great, worked like any other parchment paper only the roll cost $1.
 Spread the wet ingredients into the pan...
After melting the chips in the microwave, pour over the peanut butter mix, place in the fridge and then lift the cookies out by the parchment paper, ready to cut them into squares.
Finished product - I added a few cranberry squares on top and ready for delivery for a pre-Thanksgiving gift.

Recipe

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Squares

Ingredients:

1/2 cup melted butter - 1 cube
1 Cup graham cracker crumbs, either store bought or if you make them yourself it is about 8 sheets of crackers (two to a sheet)
1 Cup sugar, powdered (must be powdered)
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt (or regular salt)

Directions:

Line an 8x8 pan with  your parchment paper (see above)
If  you want to do your graham crackers by hand, put the crackers in a zip-lock type bag and using a rolling pin, crush the crackers to the desired crush, add the salt to the crumbs and stir to incorporate. Pour the melted butter over the graham crackers,  then added the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated. I did this step in my mixer. Spread these ingredients into your parchment lined pan and smooth evenly. Set aside.

Using your microwave put the chips into a microwave safe bowl and heat at 20 second intervals, stirring after each interval until the chips are melted and ready to pour over your other ingredients. Spread the melted chocolate over the dry ingredients and put in the fridge to chill for 2-3 hours. After that you cut the cookies into the desired size squares.

Resource

I love local vanilla products by MACTAGGARTS BRAND , in Boise and have blogged about them before - here is a link to his website - he makes all his products and they are wonderful - you won't find better vanilla or fresher vanilla beans.  I am trying out one of his new products and used it in these cookies (it is great for savory too - like zucchini, sweet potatoes, etc.) it is a grinder of vanilla beans and Himalayan rock salt. So good - great when topping things like salted caramel candy. Link

Chocolate chips and parchment paper, Dollar Tree
8x8 pan with removable bottom, Link
Thanksgiving canister/cookie jar, Tai Pan Trading

Thank you for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. ONCE AGAIN, BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY.
    ANOTHER GREAT POST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy recipe - no oven needed. Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete