Tuesday, November 1, 2016

BRAZILIAN CHOCOLATE SANDWICH COOKIES

This last Saturday I had the good and great fortune to meet Nezzy, the owner and creator of gourmet Bridageiro Decadent Artisan Chocolate. What is "Bridageiro" you say (as did I), this is what you get if you Google the word: "The brigadeiro; is a common Brazilian delicacy, created in 1940. It is common throughout the entire country, as well as in Portugal, and is present in practically all the major Brazilian celebrations." This is pretty much what Nezzy told us on Saturday.  I had intended to purchase a small box of these lovely delights, but it was later in the day at the Antique Fair, and she had sold out of my hubby's fave, milk chocolate so - I purchased this little jar of yum.
I had no idea at the time what I would do with this (OK, other than to open the jar and eat with a spoon) but then a light bulb went off and I knew what I would make.  I like to have a treat for my son and his family when they come by to "Trick or Treat," so I decided to make sandwich cookies.
This is a very simple sugar cookie recipe and so easy to make and bake because you do not roll them out as you would with other sugar cookies.  I like to use this cookie for ice cream sandwiches.
After it is all mixed, roll into a big ball, cover with plastic wrap and into the fridge for about 20 minutes.
Pinch off desired amount, roll into balls then press down with the palm of your hand, add sprinkles if you like - I always prefer to use a Silpat mat.
Once the cookies have cooled, add your filling - I did half with the milk chocolate and half with homemade buttercream.
Add the filling, press down on the top cookie and remove any excess filling or if needed add a little filling with a knife to the side.  The filling needs to come to the edges of the cookies so the sprinkles will stick - the sprinkles also keep the filling from drying out too much.
A plate of yum!
Ready for my guests.

I have posted a link to her site and encourage you to go and take a look at her beautiful products.  Not only are they unique but really delicious - she said she calls them "truffles"  so American's understand, but they are not truffles. She also uses the most beautiful and unique toppings for these lovely confections. The milk chocolate is not like any chocolate I have ever tasted, not at all too sweet, just enough sweetness, and perhaps a hint of caramel - guess you can tell this was a hit with us!

Sugar Sandwich Cookie Recipe

Preheat oven 350°

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg (room temp, please)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour (I only use King Arthur flours)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Directions:

In your mixer combine the softened (whip it first) butter with the sugars, add the egg and vanilla, mix, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda and slowly add to the mixer until it comes together.

Form into a ball, press down with your palm, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Roll into desired ball size, add sprinkles and bake for about 8-10, cool on rack before making sandwiches.

Yield 24 medium size cookies or one dozen sandwich cookies.

Resources

Nezzy's Brazilian Sweets, Link

Platter, Wedgewood Midwinter Creation pattern, no longer being made but available always on Ebay.

Halloween Boxes, Nicol Sayre

Thank you for stopping by.
 

 


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful to see
    Better to eat!
    So happy you are posting again.
    Missed them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thsnk you Anonymous - these little sugar cookies are simple to make & very good!

    ReplyDelete