Tuesday, November 8, 2016

FALL WREATH

I have had the same fall/Thanksgiving wreath for many years  and when I took it out of it's container after taking down the Halloween wreath, I realized it was looking a little shabby so I went to work on a new wreath.
 
The first thing I did was to gather my materials. This large 24' 
grape vine wreath was 1/2 off so $4!
In the storage boxes in the back I have fall foliage I have purchased at after fall sales, for up to 90% off - I just store in   boxes and it's there when the need arises!
This ivy and boxwood greenery is attached to a smaller wreath that came covered with moss and I use it when I want a more substantial wreath - I just attached with some pipe cleaners.
I find the best thing to do is to just start sticking in the items you want to use without using glue, wire or anything else so you can do what I call "futz" with them - move them around, find the symentry that will make you happy - I leave an area sort of bare where I want to put the bow.
Once you find the balance you like then take the wreath and hang it because a lot of the time it may look perfect on a flat surface and then terrible when you hang it. Once you are happy you can then glue, wire and make all the items stable.

Time to make the bow.  I had thought that a lighter colored ribbon would give the wreath an elegant look - boy was I wrong! In the photo above you will see that I used a greenery pipe cleaner to tie the ribbons together and then the same wired greenery is attached to the wreath.
 Some ideas not so good, yucky - must find a different ribbon.
Better???? Yes, what was I thinking?
All done - everything attached securely and ready to meet my guests at the front door! I have a friend that says "you always say everything is easy" - well all my posts are easy and this one is no exception. I timed this and from start to finish, even with the brain cramp ribbon, this took a little bit more than an hour. The most important thing is to have your materials together before you start.

I think bow making is a great skill to have in your arsenal. A year or two ago a subscriber to this blog wrote and asked me to make a tutorial and I made one on YouTube-not my forte as I remember I was having a fit of a time holding the phone and making a bow.  Anyway, when I find it I will put a link on this post.  I just looked and could not find it but I will continue to look later.

Found the video - Oh my gosh it's bad but until I make another one here is the link.  The video is showing making a bow for a package but it is the same for a wreath all you do is instead of tying onto a pkg you just put wire, or narrow ribbon, or my favorite, a soft pipe cleaner in the center to tie off the bow.
YouTube: Link 

Resource

All of the items used in the making of this wreath may be found at your local craft store, such as Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.

Thank you for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Nezzy! Picked up my little jar from Debby today! It's going tmmrw to LA😍 Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete