Monday, June 23, 2014

GENERAL FINISHES GEL STAIN

 Followers of this blog know I am a fan of all things Annie Sloan and her wonderful chalk paint - I was recently given a couple of chests that I intended to give an A.S. shabby chic treatment....but then I remembered my dear husband needed a little more storage in his office so one chest will be shabby chic and the other dark as in espresso. I think he will be surprised and happy for the additional storage.


One of the main reasons I love the A.S. products is the ease of use and the great end product so when thinking about the office project I knew I wanted something easy to use that would give a great end result.  I found that in Woodcraft's General Finishes gel stain. All you  have to do is clean the surfaces and using a foam brush, brush on the stain.  If you need more than one coat, a light standing in between coats is all that is needed.

Before....


After....this stain brings out the grain of the wood and gives a very rich look.



Hubby's office furniture is espresso finish so this blends right in and he now has more desk storage.  I cannot begin to tell you how easy this product is to use - it is not however water based, it is oil based, so you will not be re-using the foam paint pads and will have to responsibly dispose of them.
 He also has a nice leather chair and a little side table (for drinks, the remote, etc.) and after I saw what a great job the gel did on the chest decided to make the side table better too.
I had anticipated that this project would take several hours, require two coats on both the table and the chest and was mistaken - one coat was enough and I was finished with the two projects in about one hour or less.  I let them dry completely overnight before setting anything on them.

Resource

General Finishes Gel Stain - Available exclusively at Woodcraft stores and online. Link

Thank you for stopping by.



 

2 comments:

  1. IS THERE ANYTHING YOU CAN'T DO??????????????
    YOU ARE AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always Anonymous, thank you for your kind words. This gel stain is so easy to use a child could do this. Really such a great product. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete