Friday, March 18, 2016

TWINKIE PEEP RACE CAR CAKE FOR ALZHEIMER'S IDAHO

If you follow this blog you will know that I make the dessert for the Alzheimer's Idaho (local grassroots organization) support group for it's monthly dinner.  The hostess is well known by family and friends as a real Twinkie lover so I thought an Easter themed cake with Peeps race car (Twinkie cars) drivers might make her happy!

I usually purchase an angel food cake but to have enough room for the "cars" on the top of the cake I needed a larger cake than I could find to purchase.  This could not be easier - cake mix and water......I chose the confetti cake because I thought it went well with the theme.
Making the cake was actually big fun - mix + water and turn on the mixer and whip away.
I just followed the directions on the box as to oven temp and time to bake and then as per instructions set the cake on it's side to cool before removing from the pan. See the little confetti's aren't they cute?
I am going to put a filling into the cake so I cut off the top about 2" down.
Next cut a little tunnel about 1" wide and scoop out the cake (I saved the cake and made Hubby a little trifle for dessert tonight).
The frosting is a stable whipped cream frosting and I took enough to fill the tunnel (just eyeballed the amount) and added some red food coloring to make it pink so it looked pretty when cut.
Frosted the cake....
Sprinkled the top with pastel colored confetti sprinkles.....
Using some of the frosting "glued" the mini cookies on the front and back for my "tires" made a cut in the Twinkie and set in (with a little frosting) the Peep "driver" and added his yogurt covered pretzel "steering wheel."
Added four more drivers.....
Ready for delivery with some vanilla ice cream.  I hope these wonderful women enjoy Jerri's Twinkie Easter cake!

Stable Whipped Cream Frosting

Ingredients

8 oz reduced fat cream cheese, room temp
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 to 2/4 cup sugar, depending on desired sweetness
1 tsp vanilla*
1/2 tsp almond extract*

Using the whisk attachment of your stand mixer whip the cream cheese until it is nice and fluffy, add in the sugar and your desired extracts and whip to fully incorporate and then add in the 2 cups of whipping cream and beat until nice stiff  peaks form.  For this particular cake take out enough frosting for the filling and color as desired, put the top back on the cake and then using the remaining frosting, frost the cake.

*I used 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp Fiori Di Sicilia (beautiful citrusy flavor), you could use what extracts appeal to you.

Resource

Fiori Di Sicilia, http://amzn.to/1RqcEPX

Thank you for stopping by.

 


 

2 comments:

  1. WOW! WHAT AN ADORABLE CAKE. I BET IT TASTE AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, all I know is the girls enjoyed their dessert! Thank you for stopping by Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete