Monday, August 10, 2015

STRAWBERRY-VANILLA BEAN JAM

Last jam of the season (unless I see a new recipe or some wonderful fruit I cannot resist).  Strawberry is hubbies favorite and when I saw this recipe on Food in Jars, my favorite canning blog I just knew I would be making this recipe for small batch jam.
 A really simple recipe, with just a few ingredients....
 The little box chopper is just about my favorite kitchen gadget - I have two different size Cuisinart's and other items but this little inexpensive chopper works so well, easy to clean and gives such a great product.  For the strawberries after they were washed and hulled I just cut them in half and let the chopper dice them.
The berries need to macerate for a few hours with half the sugar and the seeds of two vanilla beans and then the bean pods themselves. I have a wonderful local source for vanilla products including the most supple and wonderful beans and he ships. The beans are only $1.00 each. I will post a link in resources.
Cover with a kitchen towel....
When making the jam, this recipe has no pectin and relies on the natural pectin in the fruit so you must reach that magic number of 240°.
Let them sit on a towel after you have processed them in a water bath.
Ready for a label...

This was my yield plus a partial jar I did not process just put into the fridge and hubby says this may be a new favorite.

Recipe

 Small Batch Strawberry-Vanilla Bean Jam


Ingredients
  • 1 quart strawberries (a little over 1 1/2 pounds, should be approximately 4 cups of chopped berries) ((I had a little more than the 1 1/2 pounds so I used them but did not increase anything else)).
  • 2 cups sugar, divided
  • 2 vanilla beans, split and scraped
  • 1 lemon, juice and zest
Instructions
  1. Wash and chop berries. Toss them with 1 cup of sugar and the vanilla beans/seeds and place in a large jar or bowl.
  2. Allow the berries to macerate for at least 2-3 hours and up to 72 hours.
  3. When you're ready to make the jam, prepare three half pint jars. (my jars are 8.5 ounces and my yield was 4 + a small portion in one more)
  4. Pour macerated strawberries into a large pot and add the remaining cup of sugar.
  5. Bring to a boil and cook until the jam reaches 220 degrees, stirring very regularly.
  6. Add the lemon zest and juice in the final 5 minutes of cooking.
  7. Once the jam has reached 220 degrees, remove the pan from the heat.
  8. Pour jam into your prepared jars.
  9. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings and process in your canning pot for 10 minutes, once the water returns to a boil.
  10. When time is up, remove jars from canning pot and let them cool on a towel-lined counter top.
  11. When jars are cool enough to handle, remove rings and check seals.
  12. If any jars are not sealed, store them in the fridge and use them first.
  13. Store sealed jars in a cool, dark place.
Resource

Bormioli Rocco canning jars, Bormioli Rocco Quattro Stagioni 5 Ounce Canning Jar, Set of 12
Recipe from Food in Jars Blog, Link

Canning/candy thermometor, Polder THM-515 Candy/Jelly/Deep Fry Thermometer, Stainless Steel
Vanilla products, including beans, Link 
Veggie Chopper,Vidalia Chop Wizard
 




Thank you for stopping by.
 

4 comments:

  1. HOW COULD ONE NOT LOVE THIS?????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! Thank you for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The addition of the vanilla makes this jam special. Thank you for stopping by Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome. I will make more next time because I watched hubby make a PB&J using about 1/3 of the little jar. His new fave. Thank you for stopping by! j.

    ReplyDelete