Monday, October 27, 2014

PORK CHOPS WITH MUSTARD SAUCE

This will be a quick post to share a pork recipe. I often find pork loins (whole loins) or small ones on sale and not only are they good but a great budget stretcher. This recipe is not only company good but easy.  I thought I had a bigger loin then I actually did as when I opened the package it was really two smaller loins together.  That is why I am showing two chops as a serving.  Had I had a large loin I would have cut only one larger chop for a serving.


INGREDIENTS

·         1 Tbsp butter

·         1 Tbsp olive oil

·         4 center-cut rib or loin pork chops, boneless or bone-in (whatever you prefer), about 1 1/4 inch thick
·         Salt
·         Freshly ground black pepper
·         1/4 cup chopped shallots or green onions
·         1 cup dry white wine
·         3/4 cup chicken stock
·         3/4 cup heavy cream
·         2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  

Pat the pork chops dry with paper towels. Sprinkle salt and pepper all over them.  Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir in the butter. As soon as the butter has melted, add the pork chips to the pan and sear them, about 2-1 minutes on each side. Reduce the heat slightly if the chops brown too quickly.


 
    



Remove the pork chops from the pan and pour off most of the fat. Add the green onions or shallots and cook them on med high heat until softened, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of the wine and bring to a boil, deglazing the pan by scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the stock and return chops to the pan. Bring sauce to a simmer, reduce heat, cover and cook until chops are cooked through (145°F internal temp), about 10 to 15 minutes.




Remove the pork chops to a warm platter; cover with foil to keep warm. Add the remaining half cup of wine. Increase the heat to high to boil the pan juices. Reduce the juices by half, about 3 minutes. Add the heavy cream and boil 3 minutes more, until sauce reduces and thickens, and scraping the pan with a wooden spoon leaves a trail. Remove from the heat and whisk in the mustard and parsley. If you want, add more mustard to taste. Place chops on a bed of sauce and serve.

I served this with a green salad, asparagus, and rice. 

With the pork leftover that I did not use for chops I cubed it and put into the crock pot with some leftover sauce and a chopped onion and then cooked for a few hours on low until fork tender and served over brown rice.  If you do not have enough sauce Heinz makes a variety of low cal gravies and although I try and not use too much processed foods I keep these in my pantry.  They will never be a substitute for gravy but are great if you need to strecth the gravy that you have made.  They come in several varieties like Pork, Chicken, Beef and Turkey.

NEW NOTE: MY DEAR FRIEND MOUSE SUGGESTED THAT NEXT TIME I FIX THIS THAT I USE MY SWEET JALAPENO MUSTARD - WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THAT TURNS OUT - ALWAYS OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS!

Thank you for stopping by.

2 comments: