Tuesday, June 16, 2015

THAI CHILI COCONUT SHRIMP TACOS

Do not let the long name of these tacos fool you - these are the most delicious and easiest to make tacos ever - hubby declared "restaurant quality."  They came about because I saw a recipe that was really complicated, required that you make your own Thai chili sauce, lots of pineapple, etc. So I just took what I thought would be best and made these oh so easy tacos.
Only 6 ingredients needed....I only see five you say...well, that is because I forgot to put in the avocado slices until I had already taken the photos, so pretend you see an avocado in the photo!

1. Shredded cabbage - I bought a bag that was already shredded
2. Corn tortillas
3. Coconut Milk
4. Thai sweet chili sauce
5. Shrimp (I used large) cooked or uncooked, tails removed
6. Avocado, sliced 

First thing that I did was to spray a grill pan and add the shrimp - if the shrimp are already cooked (mine were) you do not want to cook them just reheat them( if you cook them again they will become like rubber) let them warm on one side, turn them over and turn the heat down as far as it will go.  If they are raw do the same thing but take longer.
 The next thing to do is to put some of the Thai sweet chili sauce (available in regular grocery stores in the Asian food section) in a bowl (the amount will depend on how many tacos you are making) then add a couple of dollops of coconut cream.  Coconut cream is created when you chill a can of coconut milk - I just put the can in the fridge overnight - the cream will separate from the coconut water and you can just dip your spoon in the can and get the cream.  I actually made these twice and just put the can in the fridge in a plastic bag.  The second time it had become a little creamier but I was still able to get the cream.  Mix the chili and the coconut cream together.
Pour some of the cream/Thai sweet chili sauce into the shredded cabbage - not too much but enough to cover all the cabbage.
Take some of your leftover sauce pour over your warm shrimp and mix well.
It only takes 35 seconds in a tortilla warmer in the microwave to heat the corn tortillas and make them soft - then add some of the shredded cabbage, top with the shrimp and add avocado slices on the sides of the shrimp.  I served with some left over rice and beans and Sriracha hot sauce - which hubby used sparingly but said it was nice to have the added zip. Personal preference.

I cannot tell you how fast these come together and how easy - the shrimp cooks or re-heats in minutes, the tortillas are steamed not fried (if you do not have a tortilla warmer just cover them with a cotton kitchen towel and heat in microwave) the cabbage is already shredded and the sauce is a combination of two items already prepared.  The only thing you need to do out of the ordinary is to chill the coconut milk. If you are in a big hurry and don't have time to make some rice and beans - stop by your favorite Mexican restaurant and get an order of rice and beans to go.

I was not going to blog this but Hubby encouraged me to do so and ask that I remember to make these again.  They are very high in protein especially if they are pared with beans and rice, low in fat and the coconut cream has 70 calories in 1/3 cup. The sweet Thai sauce probably has more sugar than a nutritionist would like but hey - they make the meal and the avocado is good fat. Another plus is that you don't have to be in a hot kitchen now that it is summer, especially if you purchase the rice and beans. All good.

Resource

All ingredients are available at your local supermarket, Walmart, etc.

Recipe adapted from Closet Cooking


Thank you for stopping by.

 

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!!! I'LL ORDER 11, I DON'T THINK I COULD EAT A DOZEN, THEY LOOK SOOO GOOOD!!!!!
    WOW!!!!!! WHAT CAN ONE SAY: "DELICIOUS"
    THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT, MAKE IT A BAKER'S DOZEN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please try these anonymous (or have your neighbor try them). The fastest, easiest yum tacos ever - they come together in minutes! Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete